Friday 1 October 2010

Golden Oldies

I am beginning to notice an emerging trend.
In the lecture theatres, we mature students tend to occupy the seats towards the front.
If we conducted a survey, I'm sure we would identify a direct correlation between age and seating arrangements, with the oldest perched at the front and the youngest lurking at the back.
(And about forty years in between).
There is a rumour the school-leavers refer to us as 'noddies'.
Because we sit up front nodding enthusiastically at everything the lecturer says.
It's not agreement.
It's called 'active listening'.
I learned that in my Linguistics lecture.
The education is paying off.

We 'noddies' are the ones who volunteer answers and ask questions in these large group sessions.
We don't have the same fears that are associated with youth.
We don't desire to be popular; to conform; to be fancied.
We just blurt things out because we have lived and have been toughened up by our experiences.
Quite frankly, we don't give a damn.
And the lecturers love us!
We turn up on time.
We don't skip lectures.
We want to be there.
We fill those awkward silences; those hanging questions.
And, generally, we don't have hangovers.

I am curious if we older students choose to sit nearer the lecturer because we are more intent on learning.
Or is it just because we have failing eyesight and faulty hearing?
I prefer to believe it's the former.
I am a young 45!
Despite my need for spectacles.
I like to think I'm more 'hip' than 'hip replacement'.
Don't write me off just yet.
I'd even consider wearing Ugg boots!
If it wasn't for my fallen arches...

©Alacoque Doyle

1 comment: