Wednesday 6 October 2010

Group Project

In the 'Exploring Hispanic Cultures' module, I am in Group 3.
More precisely, Group 3 is 'Government Think Tank 3'.
Or should I say, 'Gabinete Estratégico Tres'!
Our first project (there are 3 this semester) asks us to make recommendations as to the fate of a controversial and contentious monument near Madrid, 'el Valle de los Caidos', that was commissioned by Franco at the end of the Spanish Civil War.
It is a subject about which I was pretty ignorant prior to entering this course.
That status may not be subject to a great degree of change as the course proceeds.
Since learning of the dreaded assignment methodology for this module, I have checked the course registration system, very thoroughly, for all and any alternative options I could have possibly swapped it for.
Due to timetable clashes or conflicts of interest, my options are extremely limited.
As I have no desire to do either Latin (bleurgh) or Economics (double bleurgh), I decide to see this through.
I resign myself to the prospect of simply passing the module, rather than attempting to get the best mark possible. 
Despite being a control freak, I am learning to let go...
Our group has agreed to meet at a non-timetabled time that suited us all at the time of agreeing it.
So why is it that only 5 out of 8 show up?
One has provided a 'valid' excuse.
(Note to self: let it go...)
The other 2 have not bothered to contact anyone.
I'll let you guess who one of those 2 might be.
We send some text messages to ascertain a SitRep on the missing duo.
Not that I'm trying to sound militaristic!
The ditsy one eventually replies that she was in the shower and thought we had arranged to meet on a different day.
..mmm...
And 'Wing Man' is conspicuous by both his absence and his silence. 

©Alacoque Doyle

No comments:

Post a Comment