Tuesday 5 October 2010

¿¡WTF?!

Two of my three Spanish classes involve a 9am start.
An ungodly hour if you're an 18-year-old.
Clearly, I don't fall into that category.
Consequently, there are usually a couple of stragglers who burst into the room about 5 or 10 minutes late, exhaling breathless apologies with their freshly nicotined breath.
I smirk at the concept of 'cigarette v punctuality' and try to imagine the inner turmoil of these young adults, hastily pulling on their smokes before rushing to the classroom in a vague attempt to authenticate their claims of delayed public transport.
I try to remember the order of my priorities when I was their age.
I admit, it's a struggle to think back that far.

Our tutor, Javier, is extremely tolerant.

Last Friday saw the close of the two-week window for course changes.
Previously unseen faces are showing up at some of my classes.
And previously seen faces are still absent. You know who you are, 'Wing Man'.
Spanish is no exception.
However, we are all more than a little surprised when the classroom door opens 30 minutes into our lesson.
We are way beyond roll-call by this stage of today's class.
A plump and disheveled-looking girl is standing in the doorway and staring at Javier with a rather gormless expression.
'Spanish?' she says.
I believe she intends it as a question.
It is unclear if she is enquiring after Javier's nationality, or checking if she's turned up at the right class.
Without the context of a sentence, it is difficult to say, but I am guessing she means the latter.
I wish Javier had responded with a smart answer like, 'Yes, I'm from Barcelona!'
But after politely taking her details, he invites her to take a seat and join the class


I'm tempted to ask him, ¿Conoce el Chucko Norriso?
But I don't know how to say that in Spanish.

©Alacoque Doyle

No comments:

Post a Comment