Wednesday 29 September 2010

Backfired Humeur

Week two is going well.
In general, so far, I am happy with my course choices and feeling in control of my time management.
It is Wednesday and I am in my second French Grammar class.
Our tutor, Michel, is covering demonstrative pronouns.
I know this stuff and concede I feel a little bored.
It is only when he reminds us of the exercise he handed out the previous week that I sense panic.
I have completely forgotten, not only to complete it, but also to bring it with me.
I'm annoyed with myself.
I'm the student who prepares for her classes.
I'm the one who contributes in tutorials.
I'm the one who won't shut up!
I calm myself with the thought that it's such a big group Michel probably won't ask me anything.
Especially on the basis I've been so vocal in the first session.
He picks on two of the quieter members in the room to complete sections one and two of 'l'exercice'.
So far so good.
But then he turns to me and asks me to give the answers to section three.
I attempt the school-days excuse of 'The dog ate my homework' as some sort of blasé French joke.
'Le chien a aboyé mon devoir', I laugh.
But I laugh alone.
It doesn't get the reaction I was expecting and Michel looks more than a little disappointed.
I'd even go so far as to say he looks somewhat perplexed.
And my fellow students are silent.
The whippersnappers.
It is only on my way home that evening that I realise the error of my ways.
No wonder Michel looked so confused at my 'plaisanterie'.
'The dog barked my homework' is not a plausible excuse in any language.
Oh! The shame!

©Alacoque Doyle


No comments:

Post a Comment