Monday 27 September 2010

Gesticulating

One of my chosen subjects of study is Linguistics.
Today I attend a lecture on non-verbal communication.
I think I make a bit of a faux pas...
The lecturer suggests there are some universal hand gestures whose meanings are clear in any language.
She stares out at her audience waiting for a glimmer of cognitive connection in her stupefied students.
We look at her blankly and she flips us the bird.
(By way of example, rather than frustration at our lack of input.)
She then invites more active participation by asking if any of us can suggest further examples.
I offer the universal 'wanker' hand gesture in return.
It's an automatic reaction. A bit like Tourette's for the deaf.
It prompts laughter from my fellow students and I can feel myself turn scarlet in response.
Unfortunately for me, the lecturer is focused on another part of the room at this precise moment and misses my valuable contribution, so, to add to my embarrassment, I am forced to repeat it for her benefit.
Which is met with even more laughter and a deeper reddening of my cheeks.
I need to exercise more caution.
I don't mind getting a laugh, but I don't want to get a reputation!

©Alacoque Doyle

No comments:

Post a Comment